This article may contain affiliate links. I can receive commissions for purchases made through the links in this article.
Decorate for Christmas on a budget with this Dollar Store DIY Christmas Tree. It only costs $ 3 to make and takes less than 30 minutes to complete, so it’s a cheap and easy Christmas craft project that would be perfect for kids and adults alike.
Dollar Store DIY Christmas Tree Supplies:
All of these supplies can be found at Dollar tree.
- foam cone
- 2 bundles of string lights
- the scissors
- green acrylic paint ($ 0.50 at Walmart)
- mini Christmas bows, small ornaments like bells, gemstone stickers or Christmas pom poms, battery operated LED lights, etc. (optional)
Cost: $ 3
Difficulty level: Easy
Time: 30 minutes
Dollar Store DIY Christmas Tree Instructions:
- Paint the foam cone green and let it dry.
- While you are waiting, cut your garland ties into 0.5, 1 inch, 1.5 inch, 2 inch, 2.5 inch, 3 inch, and 3.5 inch pieces. It is best to cut them over a garbage bag for easy cleaning. They make a mess. I’m not sure exactly how many of each I used because I cut them off as I went, but I used two bags of garlands to cover the tree.
- Start at the top of the tree with the 0.5 inch garland pieces and simply push them into the foam cone at a downward angle. Make sure that no spaces are visible. Use the small ones for the first two rows or so, then go to the thumb and repeat the process for the next few rows, making sure each row is slightly longer than the next.
- Continue this process with all of the garland ties. The 3.5 inch pieces go on the bottom row.
- For the top of the Christmas tree, I glued a 1 inch garland tie vertically down the center and used 0.5 inch ones around them.
- Now that your Christmas tree is finished, you can decorate it however you want.
- For the display I used a red doily as a tree skirt, fake snow, and small foam Christmas presents.
Here are some other decorating ideas:
- thin ribbon for a garland
- mini knots
- fake snow
- small bells for ornaments
- small pompoms for ornaments
- shiny gems stickers for ornaments
- you can use a wooden log or a candle holder or a small terracotta pot for the base of the tree.