This article may contain affiliate links. I can receive commissions for purchases made through the links in this article.
Make this DIY Dollar Store Christmas Lantern without breaking the bank. For less than ten dollars and fifteen minutes of your time, you can create this inexpensive and easy Christmas decoration that is perfect as a Christmas centerpiece or as a Christmas craft project.
Dollar Store Christmas Lantern Supplies:
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Epsom salt or fake snow
- 4 photo frames
- white foam board
- craft knife or scissors
- Christmas village figurines and / or Christmas decorations
Total cost: 8 $
Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty level: Easy
DIY Dollar Store Christmas Lantern Instructions:
- Remove the plastic, the back of the frame and the picture inserts from the frames.
- If you don’t want the little tabs showing you can remove them and glue the glass to the frame or if you don’t mind, you can just reposition the tabs to hold the glass in place.
- Glue the corners of the frames together. Hold firmly until each frame dries (about a minute). Be generous with the glue because you want it to hold up well.
- Using a pencil, trace the outline of the box onto the foam board.
- Cut out the outline, erase the pencil marks and glue the foam board to the bottom of the box.
- Pour your snow into the box and arrange your village pieces where you want them. You can glue the figurines in place if you wish.
- You can also add lighting to your lantern to create a magical effect (tealight candles, string lights, battery operated LED lights, etc.)
There is a lot of room for creativity on this project. You can paint the frame any color you want and put whatever you want in it! It can be used as a Christmas centerpiece, accent piece, or even a Christmas present!