This article may contain affiliate links. I can receive commissions for purchases made through the links in this article.
This Chicken and Stuffing Casserole is a quick and easy dinner recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Grated chicken and diced vegetables are combined in a creamy sauce, garnished with a tasty stuffing and baked for 30 minutes. This casserole recipe is comfort food at its best and is a perfect dinner idea for cold winter nights.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s super easy to make using common ingredients that you probably already have on hand, so it’s a great idea to have dinner when you can’t decide what to do!
How to make this chicken and stuffing casserole?
- Cook and shred the chicken (you can make it ahead of time or use a roast chicken to save time).
- Dice and brown the vegetables.
- Prepare the stuffing.
- Combine everything except the stuffing in a saucepan.
- Add the stuffing mix to the top of the pot.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
How to personalize this casserole of chicken and stuffing?
This casserole recipe is very customizable and the possibilities are almost endless, but here are some great ways to change this recipe:
- Substitute chicken for the turkey. This casserole dish would be a great choice for using leftover turkey and stuffing after Thanksgiving.
- Change the vegetables.
- mixed vegetables
- cut green beans
- Use different cream soups or make them from scratch. Mushroom, celery and herb chicken “cream” soups would do the trick.
- Give the fresh herbs a boost (thyme, rosemary, and sage would be great choices).
- Add grated mozzarella on top for an extra layer of flavor.
- Use breadcrumbs on top of the pan instead of the stuffing.
- Add the garlic and onion powder in place of the fresh powder if you don’t have any on hand.
What to serve with this chicken and stuffing casserole?
- mashed potatoes with chicken sauce
- southern green beans
- steamed broccoli
- Little bread
- garlic bread
- side salad
Store and reheat
This casserole dish makes excellent leftovers. All you need to do is cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. To reheat, simply microwave it for a few minutes per serving!
Chicken casserole and stuffing
a comforting casserole dish with chicken, stuffing and vegetables in a creamy sauce.
Portions: 4 people
Cost: $ 10
- 3 small chicken breasts cooked and grated
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 rods celery diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1/4 Chopped off Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 cans cream of chicken
- 1/4 Chopped off heavy cream or milk
- 1 box chicken stuffing on the stove
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Poultry seasoning
- 1 1/4 Chopped off chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray.
Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat, then add the diced vegetables and seasonings to the skillet.
Sauté vegetables for 4 to 5 mintues or until tender. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds more.
Combine the sautéed vegetables, the grated chicken, the cream of chicken and the heavy cream in a 9×13 casserole dish.
Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from fire. Add the stuffing mixture to the chicken broth and fluff with a fork.
Add the stuffing mix on top of the casserole dish
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly.
Calories: 518kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 31g | Saturated fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 172mg | Sodium: 2279mg | Potassium: 999mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6196UI | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 88mg | The iron: 3mg